Wednesday, October 10, 2007

What does brown do for you?

Typically, at this time of year, I ache to get outside with my camera to capture the changing leaves. We had such a dry summer this year, and everything that’s not green is ugly brown.

It’s not pretty. Does nothing for me. Makes me want to hibernate in my down blanket and veg in front of the television.

But wait. Hopefully weather.com doesn’t lie. Their fall foliage map says that, as of October 12, we’re still “patchy” - almost to “near peak” - then onto “peak.” So it looks like I have another couple weeks! Woo-hoo!

A few years ago, on November 5, 2005, I got some amazing shots. Roman and I had just dropped off my old word processor (that saved my life in college!) at my mom’s house. (She said she could use it, even though she has a computer...) It was still early enough in the morning that the light was really nice. These shots were taken when the fog had almost completely lifted from the lake. Mom lives on a golf course, and we had driven past the lake when I made Roman turn around. Just a week before, I had purchased my Canon 60D, but I still didn’t know how to use it, and I hadn’t even put the batteries in it! I had it with me, but I didn’t want to waste any time. I used the Nikon 5700 to get these shots, and the shots I got that day are some of my favorites. The colors were so vibrant, and the sky was so blue!

It’s times like these you learn to live again. It’s times like these you learn to love photography again.

2 comments:

Steph said...

wow the lake pictures are pretty!
look for a bus on my blog soon. there is a random semi-short school bus parked outside the studio. It's old and would make a lovely painting- perhaps my first at the studio.

Anonymous said...

Wish you could come visit Akron - we've had more rain and the trees are very show-y and lovely here. You'd be able to make them look extra beautiful. I'll snap a few pix for you if I get a chance.
Amy P