Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Tales from the Crypt

It’s 6:30, and trick-or-treat has been underway for a half hour. It’s a little slow so far. However, I must say, the munchkins have been awful adorable. I've seen two Power Rangers, one frog, a Jasmine, several witches, a storm trooper (oh my!) and an already-frazzled dad asking for beer. Ok, it was Stan, and he was probably kidding. But probably not. :)

It's 6:45 and I’ve already cast my vote for best costume. Napoleon Dynamite rang the bell. After I gave him a Reese’s Cup, he said, “Thank you. Vote for Pedro. Pedro offers you his protection.”

I’ve seen a dead bride, a dead soccer player, Dorothy (Toto was absent). I wonder if I’ll see an Elphaba.

Teo pre-teen girls just came by. I opened the door, and the first thing out of their mouth was, “Sweet plasma!” referring to my tv. Apparently, they told the whole neighborhood, because some parents told me they heard I had a nice plasma.

I really want to photograph the cute little ones, but in this day and age, you just can’t do that. I’ll never forget a few years ago, the best costume I ever saw. A little boy, probably around two, came to my door. He had overalls on, a patch that said his name, tools in every pocket, and the largest ring of keys I’ve ever seen attached to his pants! It was adorable, and I don’t think I’ll ever forget that one. The picture’s only in my memory.

Oh my god... A devilish 14-ish-year-old with a tatoo on the back of her neck just scored a Butterfinger from me. I’d better not see any tramp stamps tonight, or I’m giving up on society all together.

A little boy in a Nascar costume just stopped by. I know nothing about Nascar, so I asked him who he was. "Braden!”... um... “Awesome!” I didn’t know what else to say. (I found out later that Braden was the kid’s name. Maybe next year, I’ll know to ask “Who are you dressed up as?”)

We just got complimented on our sidewalk (by a parent). Apparently it’s wider than those in the rest of the neighborhood. We just had it put in because MI Homes sucks. Our sidewalk cracked after it was poured, they re-poured it, and it cracked again.

A pharoah, a creepy dead-brain guy, a dead golfer’s wife and a dead Minnie Mouse. The latter two probably didn’t have a costume until 5:45 tonight.

A girl with what I think is Down’s Syndrome just came by. She looked to be in her twenties, and I think it’s great she has the confidence to trick-or-treat. She was a mouse, and when she saw Cleo, she said, “meow, kitty!”

7pm. It’s only been an hour?

The girls are getting lots of compliments. They love it when the doorbell rings, partly I think because Indy hides under the bead. It’s girl time! Since Indy’s a vegetarian (meat comes back up), we also give the girls Fancy Feast when we have company. They LOVE the doorbell.

Roman just got home. Apparently he told the parent of the kid at the door that he was surprised I wasn’t sitting outside (I used to). She said “Everybody else is.” I’m a loner, Dottie. A rebel. We’re going outside. Now that Roman’s home, that’s cool - I just didn’t want to sit alone!

It’s over. And I finally had time to eat dinner. Somehow, we have about five pounds of candy left over.

YES!

1 comment:

Steph said...

I'm so jealous of your full-fo-cute-kids-in-costumes neighbohood! It sounds like you had so many trick-or-treaters! We had probably about...maybe 15 - 20. Yes, I can think of them all right now. Anyway, nice post and
SWEET PLASMA!!!
Hopefully that kid tells all the criminals she knows as well as the whole neighborhood!