Friday, October 26, 2007

Halloween is tomorrow!

I like Halloween. When I was a kid, it was a chance for me to escape the shy-girl shell I existed in. I remember a few costumes of mine, but not a very many. We weren’t a picture-taking family, really. (Boy how my life has changed!)

One of my first Halloween memories was staying at my friend Stacy’s house for trick-or-treat. I’d spent the day with her, and it just sounded like so much fun to go out and get candy with her and her siblings. PLUS, they still had the Rubik’s Cube costume that her sister Julie had worn the year before. It was a perfect fit for me. I LOVED my Rubik’s Cube (I could only ever complete two sides, though, before I got frustrated and took all the stickers off and reapplied them as a “solved” cube...). It was also a perfect fit because it was a box with holes cut for my head and arms. I didn’t even need to change my clothes! The only setback was that the box was so wide that I couldn’t hold my pillowcase open very well upon entering the free candy zones. Ultimately, I made out. Stacy’s neighborhood bought the GOOD candy.

In high school, my friends and I decided to trick-or-treat when we were Freshmen (I was only 13). It was then that I learned I was too old to beg for candy. Lots of grown-ups asked us if we weren’t too old to trick-or-treat. Ultimately, though, I made out. The neighborhood we were in gave out full-sized candy bars! I also learned that if I really wanted candy, Mom could buy it for me.

For the past five or six years, I used to sit out on the driveway and hand out candy with my neighbors, but they go out with their kids now. So I'm probably just going to be pausing the DVR when the doorbell rings this year.

I still like Halloween a lot. I love seeing the imaginative costumes that kids put together. And I do like seeing the babies all dressed and bundled up (even though it irks me that they’re not even the ones who will be eating the candy I bought). It’s also a chance to meet some of the neighbors.

I hope that after 8pm, there’s still some candy left for me!

No comments: