Thursday, October 4, 2007

Jungle Boogie

I had a business thing tonight after work in Fairfield. You might be asking yourself, “What’s in Fairfield besides Jungle Jim’s?” That’s a good question. The answer is... Not a whole helluva lot! You have some car dealerships, dive bars, and...um... I really don’t know what else. Oh wait - there’s a Bass Pro Shop.

There’s a new convention center in Fairfield, and it’s at Jungle Jim’s. Meet Oscar. WAIT! Before you click on that link, note that the first thing on the page says, “Please note... these photos do not represent the current decor of the Oscar Event Center, they’re just an example of what your event could look like!” It seriously says that. But I’ve been there, and it actually is a pretty nice place for a reception.

At said reception, I was served a very powerful glass of house chardonnay. I guess what they meant by “house” was actually “100 proof,” because I didn’t feel at ALL comfortable driving home. So I went shopping in the Jungle to kill some time.

Now, I’ve shopped at Jungle Jim’s before, but it’s been years since I’ve been there. So many, in fact, that I forgot just how much cool stuff they have! I entered the store in the wine section. I toured all the areas I like: California, Argentina, Italy. I ended up with a cart full of Pinot Noir, Malbec and Pinot Grigio.

Right next to the wine section are the restrooms. Apparently, they were voted best in the city. And here they are! Don’t be deceived. They’re not really port-o-potties! It’s a facade! They’re actually quite clean and nice inside. But I didn't think they were that special... This is coming from a woman who visited England’s Loo of the Year 1998. And I have the photo to prove it. I’ll scan it in later. I’m actually thinking about making a photo collage of the loos of the world I’ve visited, and America’s Best Restroom will definitely be included. I have this IKEA five-photo frame that would be great for my downstairs half bath. And what else would you want to look at while on the loo but other loos?! Sometimes my brilliance boggles even my own mind.

Anyway, back to the Jungle. If you’ve never been there, plan a visit. Don’t die without seeing this place. Elvis even makes appearances...every five minutes. I was lucky enough to catch a show. When the store opened (see history here), Jim bought up a bunch of the old Chuck-E-Cheese characters and put them in his store. I think I got to hear Hound Dog.

On to produce. Jungle Jim’s has THE BEST produce section in the entire world! And yes, Amy, there is a Santa Honeycrisp. They’re $2.69 a pound (so much better than Wild Oats’ $3.99/lb.) I got four apples. Not only do they have the traditional apples and oranges, but they have things I can’t even pronounce and am afraid to touch. Maybe someday I’ll be brave. They also have a million varieties of eggplant. I’m glad to see them in person. When I was trying to select eggplant seeds for my garden earlier this year, I had no idea which ones to grow. Again, some day, I’ll be brave enough to make some baba ganoush out of the different ones.

I didn’t really buy so much because I was overwhelmed. I wish I’d had a shopping list! I could be making some killer international dishes this weekend. Ah well. I can go back any time. It’s only 30 miles away.

Finally, there’s a zoo outside the Jungle. I managed to catch a gorilla and a giraffe in action. :)

No comments: