Thursday, January 31, 2008

Make it Work(out).

I want cooler workout clothes. As my one loyal blog follower knows (yes, that's you), I'm on a health kick. I work out five days a week now, mostly at the gym. It's cold outside, so I'm sure that'll change somewhat come Spring.

Obviously with this new hard-core I'm-training-for-a-half-marathon exercise schedule at the gym, I see a lot of people working out. What I've noticed are three different types of workout gear for women:

1. Sporty. These women are hard-core fitness freaks. They have the top-of-the-line, moisture-wicking, coordinated, form-fitting and expensive clothes. They want the best for their bodies, so nothing but the best clothes will do. Good for them. I have a few of these pieces that still fit, so I occasionally look semi-sporty.

2. Trashy. These women wear the Victoria's Secret Pink, skimpy, not-very-comfortable-looking, tight, they-know-they-got-it-so-they-flaunt-it clothes. These are the same women who put their makeup on BEFORE they work out and continuously check their hair in the mirrors. Granted, I do think they're at the gym to get a good workout, but the attire's over the top.

3. Mix-N-Match. These women wear eight-year-old Nike shorts that they got at T.J. Maxx, paired with a race t-shirt from the Reggae Run that they only ran because there was a hell of a party afterwards. This is me. I really don't care what I look like when I work out. I care more about getting a good workout. I do, however, care that my clothes fit me and don't make me look like a complete idiot.

Now, having had this opportunity to see the gym fashions for a while now, I've decided that I want cooler workout clothes for the world. In fact, I've been designing them in my head. If only I could get ahold of some black Coolmax fabric, I just know I could sew something hip. I've even been designing slogans and clothing (in my head) for the shirts a-la Gap Red - different, cool, with a message. Only, I haven't figured out how to make the designs in my head support Africa... or breast cancer... or feeding the poor...

Maybe I'm watching too much Project Runway. Maybe I need a break from staring at people at the gym. Who knows. But I want better workout clothes! Do they exist?

4 comments:

Steph said...

Oooh! I'm number 3! As I type, my bag is filled with gray shorts that have a bright orange stripe down the sides and my Target T-shirt you picked up for me at Goodwill! White and red on top, gray and orange on bottom. My shoes are orange and white though- so they match my shorts. So SOMETHING matches. Sometimes at the gym, the only thing getting me thru the dreadmill is people watching. It's better than the mall! ;)

Karen Deime said...

Erin,

Hey great post - I find myself looking for the same thing, as working out 5-6 days a week myself.

Here & there I will find items at Target, Kohls, GAP
I really like the workout pants I find at Danskin
http://www.danskin.com/womens.html
Plus they offer free shipping, 20% off orders, etc.


Lululemon Athletica - I hear they have great workout clothes, but their closest stores are in NYC & Chicago
http://www.lululemon.com/newyork/newyork

Anonymous said...

Dude! Don't cave into the pressure! You gotta keep it cross-country runner cool and do startling mix-n-match fashion. NO COOL CLOTHES. Go old school. Get striped socks, bad hats, old concert t-shirts. That's what the true road warriors wear. The more dressed up you are, the more the veterans know you're all show and no go. So, drool over the catalogs but keep your mismatched style. That's what all the cool runners wear!
Amy

Erin said...

Start wearing purple wearing purple.
Start wearing purple for me now.
All your sanity and wits they will all vanish.
I promise, it's just a matter of time...

This is what was playing on my mp3 player when I started looking at the "fashions".

None of them were purple.